Monday, January 24, 2011

Superiority, my ass

Well, I did say I'm the superior dog, didn't I, because I am more attentive and listen to commands quicker than big sis Rosie.  Yesterday though it was me that suffered from temporary deafness, or better, all I could hear was the pheasant's calling!  Ahhh, to tear through the undergrowth, nose close to the ground, all senses channelled into one thing, and one thing only:  The pursuit of game.  Yes, I was full of myself.  I admit to enjoying the chase, the chase being a means to no end.  Then, the sound of a whistle did penetrate that thick skin of mine eventually, and I abandoned pheasant and chase to return to the pack, when, oh dear, I couldn't find them, and more tracking had to be done.  I realised that human Alpha's had done this on purpose, for me to learn a lesson, at least a momentary one.  And oh bliss, when finally I caught up with my pack, and there they were, the two human Alpha's, big sis Rosie and old doggie-lady Tine.  There is safety in numbers!  And the pack does mean EVERYTHING!  Not that I am sorry, that's a human thing.  What I felt though was the ease and security and connection, and me, I have a definite place in this pack, it's my birthright to have a place.  And it's not on the top rungs of the ladder.  So, whatever superiority I have is really only there by authority and consent of the pack.  If they acknowledge me, I feel what humans might call 'happy'.  Happiness brought about by a firmly outlined place as a full member of the pack.  Dog heaven!  But yeah, there is this secret wish of being looked up at rather than down on, which is genetically what makes dogs and wolves forever strive for a higher up place in the pack.  Nobody wants to be Omega!  But worse than being Omega, much much worse, is having NO place.  I love the photograph though at the top of this blog, it really makes the viewer look up at me, doesn't it?  Hahaha!  I don't want to take that too serious either and remain little Nell, without the puff-up.  Wruff!

No comments:

Post a Comment